Current whereabouts: Home > Library > Speech
- Vicki Halper, Makers and Designers: Collisions and Intersections
by Vicki Halper 24 May 2011
- Writer, academic and curator Vicki Halper looks at the heady days of the studio crafts movement that followed the Second World War (1939-1945), when designers such as Charles Eames and Dorothy Liebes were part of the conversation at seminal conferences sponsored by the American Craft Council. Halper details how many craft makers were and are leading double lives as designers of limited edition or factory-produced lines. Halper presents a debate about the craft-art-design continuum through the voices of leading designer-makers. She observes how today in a 'post-fossil' age, design objects, laser-prototyped in the thousands, are now being make to look hand-crafted. Or are they made by hand? Design, have you lost your optimism? Craft, do you now have the future on your side? This lecture was given during Vicki Halper's speaking tour for Craft Australia in April 2011.
- Opening Speech Robert Baines exhibition Metal at Object Gallery
by Dr Judith O'Callaghan 24 November 2010
- When it comes to this exhibition, Robert Baines: Metal, we're talking about a number of life-time achievements wrapped up in one. Robert excels in a number of fields. First and foremost, Robert is a goldsmith - at the top of his field, represented in major public collections, around Australia and New Zealand as well as the USA, Germany, Austria, France and Great Britain. He is also an academic: a teacher, researcher and writer - and again at the top of his field, being Professor of Gold and Silver Smithing at RMIT. Robert is also an internationally renowned archeometalurgist - being an authority on ancient Greek and Etruscan metalworking techniques.
- Tamworth fibre textile collection 1975- 2010, Opening Speech
by Catrina Vignando 24 November 2010
- This inaugural survey exhibition is drawn from the Fibre and Textiles Biennial exhibitions that the Gallery has been conducting since the 1970s. This exhibition also marks an important transition for the Fibre Textiles Biennial as it will be moving to a new triennial format.
- State of Design Festival 2010
by Lou Weis 21 October 2010
- Lou Weis' opening night speech from the 2010 State of Design Festival: Change by Design held in Melbourne from the 14-25 July.
- Jeff Mincham Living Treasure Exhibition
by Jane Burns 28 April 2010
- Jane Burns' opening speech for the exhibition Jeff Mincham: Ceramics Living Treasures exhibition at Object Gallery . Jeff Mincham´s career as a ceramic artist has spanned over thirty years from his traineship with Les Blakebrough in the early 1970s, to teaching as Head of Ceramics at the Jam Factory and into full-time studio practice from 1983 to his recognition as Living Treasure and Master of Australian Craft in 2009.
- Towards professionalism - the story of a desk
by Meredith Hinchliffe 16 February 2009
- Writer and collector Meredith Hinchcliffe's presentation from Studio Furniture 2010 about the provenance of a desk. Hinchcliffe outlines issues that makers need to address in their professional practice including record keeping, the makers mark and object provenance.
- Sturt Woodfire 2008 - Welcome address
by Janet Mansfield 30 May 2008
- The Australian international woodfire conference, Sturt Woodfire 2008, was held in April at Sturt in Mittagong, New South Wales. The conference explored a range of issues central to wood fired ceramics and included environmental concerns, marketing, technical issues, creative expression and cultural identity. Janet Mansfield's opening speech in published by Craft Australia.
- Klaus Moje: Glass, Opening Speech
by Richard Whiteley 4 December 2006
- Klaus Moje is one of the most visible and recognisable artists around the world for glass, crafts and education. Through his work and teaching, Klaus has assisted the whole of the sector to realise new possibilities for the medium. Richard Whiteley opens the exhibition, Klaus Moje: Glass.